Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2015

The Social Shaming of America

Shame on you. I have no idea what you did, but I'm sure it is worthy of a public shaming on social media.

You left the seat up? Idiot!

You deleted the football game I recorded? WTF?!?

You're voting for who? Are you THAT stupid?!?


I get it. We all have opinions, and I honestly think it's good to share them. It is how we are sharing them that makes me sad for humanity. Look at it this way. When we get together with friends or family, most of us get into conversations about world events. Gun control. Terrorism. Politics. Religion. There's a good chance that all of those topics get discussed at one of my family gatherings, and they could easily take place with a 3 hour time frame. There are numerous differences of opinion, and plenty of people saying, "look at it this way". Sometimes a meeting of the minds takes place, sometime not. But after our attempts at solving the world's problems, we move on. When it is time to leave, there are hugs, handshakes, "good to see you's" and plenty of "drive safe's". Everyone is genuinely glad to have seen each other, and a bit disappointed when the party starts to break up.

Here's the interesting part. Some of those same people that are willing to listen to the other side's story, and conversely argue their side in an equally calm manner will then flat out rip apart some people on Facebook over the same issues discussed with family. I admire their passion in their beliefs, but the harsh words and verbal disdain for other's viewpoints began to make me wonder, how far are we going with this on what was intended to be a way to socially interact.

So I watched. I participated to see the responses I would get in return. I shook my head - a lot, but mostly, I lost some faith in what we are becoming as a society. The hatred. The hypocrisy. It is truly stunning to see how anti-social Facebook, the "social network", has become. The November 13th attacks in Paris spawned a slew of profile photos to be changed with the French flag being superimposed over their standard picture. Facebook went nuts! I get what everyone was saying, that it became more a trend than anything, but in a world that has lost touch with what matters, this gesture forced them to learn why they were doing this. Maybe they have no idea of current events, but a small gesture like this, one that simply means "I'm sorry this happened to you, you're in our thoughts", may mean that someone is a little more in tune with what is going on in the world.

What's amazing to me is the backlash that came from those. One person whom I have personally seen air out relationship issues on Facebook, which of course elicited a groundswell of support from friends and family, rips into the masses for jumping on the bandwagon of changing their profile pics.  Another that has regularly asked for prayers for his child chided all those changing their profiles as well. Apparently we can share support when you are having relationship or health issues, but not with others across the world when their country is under siege, claiming numerous lives and changing families over there forever. Mind you, I am NOT advocating that we stop praying for the health of friends and family, nor should we turn a deaf ear towards the people in our lives that are going through tough times emotionally. What I am advocating is that we allow people to be compassionate without get labeled as shallow for 'jumping on the bandwagon'.  Maybe those people haven't been the best at caring in the past, but sometimes a major event, like the Paris attacks, wakes some people up and they become more cognizant of the world's issues and thus more invested in the cure. When you call them out for that action, you are part of the problem. Once you find issue with people being or becoming compassionate, you are now the negative impact on people's lives, and you will start being cut out of theirs. Maybe that's what you want, but I assume that joining a social network and accepting them as friends means they are more dear to you than you actually show.

There is also lot of discussion lately about bullying, including cyber-bullying.  I see parents talk about how this needs to stop, and other parents and the school systems need to be part of the solution.  Then that same person will go a rip someone's rear end on Facebook for having an opposing view on a political or social topic. They point out where everyone else is failing, and quite often with intense, pointed criticism. They even stoop to name-calling, with some harsh, politically incorrect terms referring to other's mental capacity. People that have actually campaigned against cyber-bullying are performing the same acts for which they shame others.

I also see more and more over-sharing. A gruesome photo of a Pitbull's bloodied neck after living on a chain for all 3 year's of its life made the rounds - over a million times. I understand that too. Share it enough times and we help catch the criminal. But this was over 2200 miles away from where I live, and there is another 1,000+ miles to the next coast, and yet this was shared internationally. Why? Share it locally and put it on the local TV and in the local papers, but to have it repeatedly shared world-wide made it no longer about the crime and more about the photo. Sharing this photo over a million times is Fox News-esque. It is more about the sensationalism of the photo than it is catching the bad guy. In fact, the photo is still shared today with the tag line "Let's put this animal abuser away for good"...except he has already been caught, put on trial, found guilty, sentenced AND completed his jail time - all done by local tips, authorities, judges, and facilities. So many people are consumed with shaming the bad guy that they are blinded by the fact that not only is the photo of an incident that happened thousands of miles away, but it is also three years old.

Don't get me wrong, I love what social media can do for us. Sharing family stories, good times with friends, and yes, news, sports, and weather relevant to my area. I am OK with a picture of a PERSON that is being sought by the police for questioning for animal abuse. However, showing the actual abuse does not do me any good. I hate animal abusers - HATE 'EM - but I see no need to show what has happened to the animal. Show me who did it, and if I know them, I'll make the call. I'd rather you show me a picture of a rescued animal going home with a new family. You can summarize the back story, but in a world filled with hate and barbaric behavior, we control what stories we 'Share with your friends'. Each of us have the power to fight the fight in a way that doesn't glorify the despicable act, but still denounces it.

We are inching our way to social terrorism - or at least social network terrorism. The constant attacks with extreme bias or prejudice are becoming commonplace on Facebook, Twitter, and the like. If that tactic were used in a court of law, that attorney would get tossed out of the proceedings. If you have a point, make it. If you can't do so without a personal attack, maybe you don't have any basis for your argument.

But, I have faith in you. I fully believe you have the wherewithal to state your case and back it up with nobility and facts, and more importantly, your ability to comprehend that your thoughts and ideology may not conform to everyone else's with which you can accept. See each other's points, and if you remain unconvinced, walk away with the solace that you maintained your loyalty, and more importantly, your dignity at all times. THAT"S what people will remember. Your reputation will remain unscathed, and whether or not they ever see your points, they will remember your decorum and social aptitude.

In the past I have done exactly of Facebook what I am chiding today, but it wasn't getting me anywhere, and I wasn't very happy with myself. It can only get better if we find our hearts again, and I hope that in the last couple of years I have found mine, for good.

If not, give me a gentle reminder...no shaming necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment